5 Tips to Thrive Working from Home
It’s week two working from home for many of us and may have been a difficult transition for lots of people. I have been home based (more than once) for two years and manage a sales team. Here are five tips about how to thrive working from home.
1. It’s true what they say, keep your usual morning routine: wake up, shower, eat, run, yoga, meditate, read the news (maybe skip this for now), make lunches, whatever. Do that. But most importantly commute. I mean it. By leaving the house and taking a quick walk around the block, you give your brain the chance to reset and get into the right mindset for work. This will also help separate your home from your “office”.
2. Take breaks and don’t forget to eat. Some of you may need to hide the chips. I actually struggle with both of these!
3. Get outside at least once per day.
4. Pick up the phone instead of emailing and embrace video chat.
5. Shut down your tech completely and put your work away. If you can see your work, it will be difficult to transition back into home life. Then “commute” home. Just like the commute you did into your work mind set, leaving the house and walking around the block will let you decompress your workday.
Bonus: Know your peak productivity time and your peak unproductive time. My peak productivity is morning until lunch. During my productive peak I do all my “pay yourself first” activity and tackle my most important tasks. For my unproductive periods I schedule email time, admin work, and I used to book face to face meetings, now I book zoom meetings.
Comments are closed.